Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Homemade Pizza

When Jeremy and I got married I had all sorts of dreams of being SUPER domestic. Almost 4 years later I have not come anywhere close...

until recently.


I decided to make pizza from scratch...starting with the dough!!


When I was in pastry school, we had to take a class on breads and pizza dough was on the schedule and not to toot my own horn, but I did pretty well in the class. Fast forward 5 years and things are a little different. For one, I don't have an instructor standing over me making sure I am doing everything correctly. Also, we made everything in bulk so scaling down is a task. Anyway...I got it in my head that I was going to make my own pizza!!

The dough was really easy to make and easy to work with. And it smelled delicious!!

Next I rolled out the dough. Now some people don't care about the thickness or thinness of the dough, but Jeremy and I are NOT those people. We love New York style pizza!! (sorry Chicago lovers) So thin it was...almost paperthin!!

Then came the sauce...just some tinkered with tomato sauce. Nothing special.


Now...the toppings!! I am a plain cheese girl and Jeremy always tells me that is the free stuff but I don't care...the more cheese the better! The pizza below is Jeremys...pepperoni.

And I love my cheese really toasted...not burnt, but really melty!! This picture makes my mouth water!!
After I told some family that I made pizza for dinner from scratch, I think they scratched their heads in wonder as to why I would want to make pizza when I could buy it. Well I am so glad they wondered...

Here are a couple of my reasons:



  • Save some money...the dough makes 6 individual pizzas...so that is 3 dinners

  • Jeremy and I are trying to cook more together

  • WHY NOT!!!

Cooking Tip: I read this tip before I baked my pizzas and I am so glad that I followed..


While preheating the oven, place your pizza stone in the oven to heat also. When ready to bake pizza, place dough on hot stone and then top with sauce and cheese. Then bake. This gives the pizza a nice crisp crust!!


So...now I can cross homemade pizza off of my Super Domestic list!!







2 comments:

  1. Good job Blair! It was not as hard as you thought probably! I agree it saves money, and the satisfaction of knowing you made it yourself is rewarding! It looks scrumptious! But I do have to say... I like the thicker crust!
    Next time we have dinner...we ought to make pizza. We'll make the dough and let the others "decorate" it to their likings. I am like you...cheese please!!!

    Thanks for the tip on preheating the stone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look delicious! you've totally inspired me. doing things from scratch doesn't always save me money in the short-term though...all the ingredients from the failed experiments add up :) xx

    ReplyDelete